Nationality and Education:
Born in Angola , he moved to Brazil when he was 13 years old before coming to Portugal. He spent some time in Australia and currently lives in Portugal and US.
He began his training as a percussionist in Angola and then at the Imperatriz Leopoldinense Samba School in Rio de Janeiro .
He studied at the Portuguese Youth Musical Institute, Academia dos Amadores de Música in Lisbon and University of Sydney at World Music Department – workshops.
Ruca performed with Rão Kyao,Teresa Salgueiro, Melody Gardot, Couple Coffee, Madredeus, Sadao Watanabe, D’alambre, Toquinho, Alejandro Sans, Paulo de Carvalho, Ivan Lins, António Chainho, Paulo Bragança, Rosana, Filipe Mukenga, Martinho da Vila, Fafá de Belém, J.P. Simões, Tommy Campbell, Steve Thornton, Mike Ryan, Sergio Godinho, Vitorino, Filipa Pais, Lucia Monis, Janita Salomé, George Witty, Roberto Leal, Moonspell, Fúria do Açúcar, Mafalda Sachetti, João Braga, Velez, Pierre Aderne and many more.
Ruca recorded more then 160 albuns
Composer for the play at Museu do Papel February 2015
Solo Concerts: Festival Todos – Playing on glass instruments.
New Album with his new project D’Alambre “Tierra Seca y Caramelo” 2015
Couple Coffee – One of His current bands, has recorded 4 albums, most recent “Quarto Grão” and 2 DVDs
With his percussion group NGoma Makamba:
A selection of shows around the world:
South Africa Tour with Sadao Watanabe including participation in the North Sea Jazz Festival in Cape Town 2004.
Tour of Italy in 2004 for 15 days with concerts in several cities.
Japan Tour with Sadao Watanabe in 2003
Concert with Sadao Watanabe in Nara , Japan celebrating the anniversary of the Buddhist Temple in Oct 2002.
Asia Tour and live recording of two concerts for Japanese television (NHK) and Tokyo FM in July and August 2002.
Opening of the World Soccer Championship 2002 in Japan May 2002.
European Tour Nov 2001
Asian Tour with Sadao Watanabe Taiwan , Hong Kong , Singapore , Malaysia Oct 2001
Japan Tour with Sadao Watanabe August 2001
TV recording with Sadao Watanabe for NHK in Tokyo , December 2000
European Tour ( Holland , France , Belgium ) including the Jazz and World Music Festival, October 2000.
Japan Summer Tour July 2000
Blue Note Tokyo 4 night concert June 2000.
Kirin the Club Festival in Tokyo , June 1999
Special Christmas Concert with Sadao Watanabe in Tokyo , December 1998 for NHK TV.
A selection of shows in Portugal :
Loures Festival Community Space
RDP Africa Opening Ceremony
Eunice Muñoz Opening Ceremony
United Nations Human Rights Festival
Africa Day Festival
African Gala Theater Maria Matos
City Festival Guarda
Participation in the CD Red Hot Lisbon
Concert with General D
Belem Cultural Center (CCB) A Fúria do Açúcar Concert
Évora City Festival
With A Fúria do Açúcar
– Member of the group from 1992 to 2005 with João Melo.
– Recorded 4 Albums
– More than 700 concerts over 13 years in Portugal at local festivals, discos, many different festivals, etc
– Internet site which was awarded with two prizes.
– Participation in all channels of Portuguese TV between 1992 and 2005.
– Three Video clips (Batman, Joana and In the Navy)
With Other Artists
– Percussionist for António Chainho, master of portuguese guitar. 2012- 2015. Just record his latest album.
– Percussionist for Madredeus & Banda Cósmica from 2008 to 2010 – 3 albuns recorded and a DVD at Teatro Ibérico
– Percussionist in “La Serena” with Teresa Salgueiro & Lusitânia Ensemble, tour 2007/2008. The Cd “La Serena” – Nov. 2007. Concerts all over the world.
– Concerts in Portugal with Paulo de Carvalho e Ivan Lins 2006
– Percussionist for the Rão Kyao’s Band since 2003. Concerts and Music Festivals in Portugal, Brazil, Italy, Marrocco, France, Spain, Cape Verde, Angola, Slovenia, US and England.
– Percussionist for the band of Paulo de Carvalho from 2005 till today.
– Tour with Martinho da Vila in Brazil 2000 (Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Bahia). Including participation in PercPan 2000 in Salvador .
– Special Guest of Moonspell at the Coliseu in Lisbon in 2000.
-Participation in the Percussion Project Tocarufar with Rui Júnior e O ó que o som tem? during Expo 98 and the Asia Tour with WOK in 2000.
– Founding Member and Conga Player of Orquestra Salpicante the resident band of Bar Salsa Latina from 1995 to 2004. Shows throughout Portugal with the Orchestra.
– Valdez e As Piranhas Douradas with Pedro Wilson founded the group. Recorded a CD with Valentim de Carvalho. Awarded the best live band of 1993.
– Tour with Paulo Bragança – US – 1997.
– Percussionist with Fafá de Belém for European Concerts since 98.
– Participation on Live TV show with Alejandro Sanz and Rosana.
– In 2001, was musician with the orchestra and did Executive Production of the Eurovision Song Festival for RTP 1.
– Performed several concerts with Sérgio Godinho, Vitorino, Rão Kyao, Janita Salomé, Felipa Pais and João Braga.
– While a resident of Australia gave several workshops on Brazilian and African rhythms.
– In Australia with the group Palmares, participated in festivals of Jazz and World Music.